Within a busy health care environment, it can be difficult to recognize the influence of theory; yet theory plays a critical role in nursing practice as well as nursing research. The ultimate purpose of learning about theory in this course, and throughout the DNP program, is to strengthen your ability to promote evidence-based practice. Consider what you have learned in this course about the relationships among philosophy, science, theory, and practice; how could the insights you have gained help you to facilitate the application of evidence-based practice in a health care setting? How can an EBP model support this application?
For this Discussion, you will consider the various EBP models as well as the difference between EBP and clinical research.
- Reflect on the EBP models presented in the Learning Resources and their application in clinical practice.
- Recall the clinical practice problem you identified for Application #5, and consider which EBP model would best support investigating that problem.
- Also, contemplate the difference between the application of research in evidence-based practice and clinical research and the role of the DNP-prepared nurse in both.
By Day 3 post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
- Which EBP model would best support the exploration of the practice problem you utilized for Application #5? Include a brief summary of your practice problem and the rationale for your EBP model selection.
- Provide a summary of how evidence-based practice differs from clinical research, and include your perception of the role of DNP-prepared nurses in both.
Practice problem: The problem issue in this case is minimizing the rate of recidivism in patients with chronic respiratory disease.