Students select one interest group from the following groups provided:
Children’s Health Fund,
National Rural Health Association,
Coalition for Health Services Research,
Global AIDS Alliance, National Nurses United,
National Breast Cancer Coalition
and investigate the group’s key issues;
1) what is their mission;
2) what is their legislative agenda;
3) how is the agenda developed;
4) how is it communicated to members;
5) how is their agenda pushed and promoted (i.e., mechanisms used to engage/attract and influence policy makers);
6) what are the group’s current lobbying efforts;
7) key partner coalitions;
8) do their partnerships influence policies at the local, state or national level;
9) key obstacles;
10) spending allocations (consult the Center for Responsible Politics, www.opensecrets.org).
In addition to investigating the interest group’s website and reviewing position statements and testimony, students should consult media reports to obtain more information on the group’s current lobbying efforts.
1) summarize their findings in a 1-2 page, single-spaced memo. Students are also to
2) submit a 15-20 slide PowerPoint presentation that addresses all the key questions listed in the first section of this page.
Presentation is to be done in APA format and to include both learning objectives and a reference page.
Both presentations and written memos must be submitted via BB.
1-2 page, single-spaced memo
Learning objectives 5 points
Introduction 10 points
Investigate the group’s key issues 5 points
The group’s mission 5 points
Legislative agenda 5 points
Mechanisms used to engage/attract and influence policy makers 5 points
Current lobbying efforts 5 points
Key partner coalitions 5 points
Do their partnerships influence policies at the local, state or national level: key obstacles 5 points
Spending allocations (consult the Center for Responsible Politics, www.opensecrets.org). 10 points
Conclusion 5 points
APA References 10 points
Slide PowerPoint presentation 25 points