Theories from the biomedical sciences have shaped nursing practice, as well as research, throughout the years. In order to engage in the highest level of practice and aid in addressing current and future issues in health care, it is important for nurses to become more cognizant of these theories.
For this Discussion, you will differentiate among theories within the basic, or pure, sciences, and consider how they may be applied to improve outcomes in health care.
- Review the concepts and principles of the various biomedical theories and models presented in this week’s Learning Resources, and consider how they influence clinical practice. Which biomedical theories and models are used most frequently in health care? How do they relate to improved health outcomes? Reflect on your specific practice area and identify at least one biomedical theory or model that is utilized.
By Day 3 post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
- Describe one biomedical theory or model frequently used in health care and provide your rational for how it relates to improved patient outcomes.
- Describe one biomedical theory or model that is utilized in your specific practice area. Provide at least two examples related to its application
McEwin, M., & Wills, E. M. (2019). Theoretical basis for nursing. (5th ed.) Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health.
- Chapter 15, “Theories From the Biomedical Sciences”Chapter 15 highlights some of the most commonly used theories and principles from the biomedical sciences and illustrates how they are applied to studies conducted by nurses and in nursing practice.
- Chapter 17, “Theories, Models, and Frameworks From Leadership and Management”Chapter 17 presents leadership and management theories utilized in advanced nursing practice.