The purpose ofthe graded collaborative discussions is to engage faculty and students in an interactive dialogue to assist the student in organizing, integrating, applying, and critically appraising knowledge regarding advanced nursing practice. Scholarly information obtained from credible sources as well as professional communicationare required. Application of information to professional experiences promotes the analysis and use of principles, knowledge, and information learned and related to real-life professional situations.Meaningfuldialogue among faculty and students fosters the development of a learning community as ideas, perspectives, and knowledge are shared.
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this discussion, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
- Examine roles and competencies of advanced practice nurses essential to performing as leaders and advocates of holistic, safe, and quality care (CO1)
- Apply concepts of person-centered care to nursing practice situations (CO2)
- Analyze essential skills needed to lead within the context of complex systems (CO3)
- Explore the process of scholarship engagement to improve health and healthcare outcomes in various settings (CO4)Integration of Evidence: The student post provides support from a minimum of one scholarly in-text citation with a matching reference AND assigned readings OR online lessons, per discussion topic per week.
- What is a scholarly resource? A scholarly resource is one that comes from a professional, peer-reviewed publication (e.g., journals and government reports such as those from the FDA or CDC).
- Contains references for sources cited
- Written by a professional or scholar in the field and indicates credentials of the author(s)
- Is no more than 5 years old for clinical or research article
- What is not considered a scholarly resource?
- Newspaper articles and layperson literature (e.g., Readers Digest, Healthy Life Magazine, Food, and Fitness)
- Information from Wikipedia or any wiki
- Website homepages
- The weekly lesson
- Articles in healthcare and nursing-oriented trade magazines, such as Nursing Made Incredibly Easy and RNMagazine (Source: What is a scholarly article.docx; Created 06/09 CK/CL Revised: 02/17/11, 09/02/11 nlh/clm)
This discussion will explore the value of a master’s education in nursing. Please provide an initial response to the discussion question by Wednesday at 11:59pm MT and two interactive dialogue responses no later than Sunday 11:59 PM MT at the end of WEEK 1. The discussion is worth 75 points. Please refer to the discussion grading rubric for additional criteria.
Consider the current healthcare delivery models and practice settings. Reflect on how nursing practice is transforming in response to the current demands of the healthcare system and answer one of the following questions:
- What differentiates the practice of a master’s-prepared nurse compared to that of a baccalaureate-prepared nurse?
- What is the value of a master’s degree in nursing?
- What do you consider to be the most essential professional competency for a master’s-prepared nurse practicing in the 21st century?
Refer to AACN Essentials, Chamberlain University Nursing Conceptual Framework and other scholarly sources. Use at least one outside scholarly article to support your position. Provide an example to illustrate an application to professional practice.