This assessment requires application of a nursing theory based on General Systems Theory and it’s relevance to rural health.
Rural populations face many challenges to receiving the health care they need. Social determinants of health such as living environment, education, access to resources, etc., all influence individual and population health. Often times, when resources are available, other determinants, such as a lack of education or self-care, financial limitations, etc., continue to inhibit care. Numerous nursing theories have developed from General Systems Theory and the idea that the “system” is made up of “subsystems” that must work collaboratively and in harmony in order to work effectively. Neuman’s Systems Model and Roy’s Adaptation Model are two of these nursing models that support the principles of General Systems Theory. For the purpose of this assignment, we will explore Roy’s Adaptation Model and answer the following:
- Identify 2 major issues faced by rural populations in meeting their health care needs.
- What specific social determinants of health significantly influence these issues?
- Identify and describe 3 (out of 10) explicit assumptions of Roy’s Adaptation Model.
- How do these assumptions apply to rural health?
- What subsystems facilitate or hinder the overall system’s ability to meet the needs of the rural population?
- Describe a plan or legislative process (may be one currently under review or recently passed) for improving the “healthcare system” and the potential impact on the rural population.
Make sure you also include a clear, separate introduction and conclusion as a part of this assignment, as these are worth separate points on the grading rubric.
Points: 40 Due Date: Sat, May 1 by 8:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the US. (Please note: No late assignments will be accepted for Module 5 assessments.)
References Minimum of four (4) total references: two (2) references from required course materials and two (2) peer-reviewed references. All references must be no older than five years (unless making a specific point using a seminal piece of information)Peer-reviewed references include references from professional data bases such as PubMed or CINHAL applicable to population and practice area, along with evidence based clinical practice guidelines. Examples of unacceptable references are Wikipedia, UpToDate, Epocrates, Medscape, WebMD, hospital organizations, insurance recommendations, & secondary clinical databases.
StyleUnless otherwise specified, all the written assignment must follow APA 7th edition formatting, citations and references.
Number of Pages/WordsUnless otherwise specified all papers should have a minimum of 600 words (approximately 2.5 pages) excluding the title and reference pages.