I’m working on a health & medical discussion question and need guidance to help me learn.
Respond to discussion questions as a peer. use at least 1 reference, should be 150 words at least. (Health care financing may include how to pay for care, but also who pays for care, how transactions between users and providers are handled, and how many total dollars are spent on care. When we purchase health care, it is totally different from the typical approach for purchasing other kinds of services or commodities in our economy. Health care is not a normal commodity or service, because of two reasons;
- The need for health care varies mostly from one individual to another: 20% of Americans use and 80% of all health care dollars expended in any given year.
- The cost of health care is very high, and many people could not afford it if they had yo pay cash each time they needed a service.
In 2010, the U.S. Census Bureau released a study on U.S. insurance coverage on how Americans are Insured by Population:
- Private Insurance, employment based. 120 Million
- Private insurance, individually purchased 27 million
- Government insurance: Medicaid 48 million
- Government insurance, Medicare 43 million
- Government insurance, military 12 million
- Uninsured Americans 51 million
Many Americans are covered by employer-sponsored group health insurance programs (PPO and HMO), others are eligible for government programs, and some individually purchase health care insurance. The average cost of health care insurance for a family annually was $13,770 in 2010. the cost of health care has risen Dramatically over the past 10 years, and is a constant issue for the political spectrum, because of the GDP In 2009, U.S. health care spending grew 4.0%, a historically low rate of annual increase to $2.5 trillion or $8,086 per person. The share of gross domestic product devoted to health care spending increased to 17.6% in 2009 from 16.6% in 2008 and was predicted to rise in 2019 to 19.3% ($4.5 trillion) according to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
Knickman, J. and Kovner, A. (2015), Health Care Delivery in the United States (11th Ed.) Springer Publishing Company
Harrison, C and Harrison, W. (2013), Introduction to Health Care Finance and Accounting Delma Cengage Learning