Select a potential natural or man-made disaster (hurricane) that could happen in your community (Monroe, Connecticut) Then, write a 4-page paper about the disaster from the community nurse’s perspective.
Section 1: The Disaster, Man-Made or Natural
- What disasters may strike your community and why? For example, do you live in “Tornado Alley,” or has climate change resulted in unusual cold weather snaps or blizzards in your community? Are you located in a flood plain? Include possible diseases that may result from a natural disaster, such as tetanus or cholera.
Section 2: The Nursing Response
- Formulate responses to the disaster, considering systems and community levels of intervention.
- Review websites where a disaster plan may be available for the public, or if one is not currently available, call public health department to see if a disaster plan exists for your community and what the plan contains.
- In addition to reviewing websites for information about your local disaster plan, you will need to locate best practice/evidence-based practice guidelines in professional literature to determine whether your community’s disaster plan is as sound as it might be or if there is room for improvement.
Section 3: Is My Community Prepared for a Disaster?
- What conclusions can you draw about your community’s preparedness plan from having completed this evaluation? ( please use the emergency preparedness plan located on monroect.org to draw your conclusions)