For this assignment, create a PowerPoint presentation based on any three of the following four case studies.
Read the case study You be the Judge presented at the end of Chapter 18 which begins, “The older adult male patient was admitted…” (Guido, p. 363) and answer the following questions:
- Was the nurse negligent for not questioning the use of morphine for a patient with blunt abdominal pain before administering the dose of morphine?
- Would knowing that the patient’s blood pressure was 148/94 when the morphine was administered impact the finding of the trial court?
- What evidence would you argue in the nurse’s defense regarding the care of this patient?
- How would you decide this case?
Read the case study You be the Judge presented at the end of Chapter 19 that begins, “An 82-year-old patient…” (Guido, p. 394) and answer the following questions:
- What initial care should the patient have received in the emergency center?
- Did the emergency department staff meet the standards of care for a patient with these presenting signs and symptoms?
- Was the admission to the intensive care area a violation of the EMTALA law?
- How would you decide this case and what provisions of the EMTALA law would you anticipate the court enumerated in its holding?
Read the case study You be the Judge presented at the end of Chapter 20 (Guido, p. 415) beginning with, “The patient was a detainee,…” and answer the following questions:
- Should the nurses have followed the physician’s orders and continued the ordered medications, which varied significantly from his pre-jail medications, specifically his medications for pain?
- Was it deliberate indifference to the patient’s medical needs to change his pain medications in the belief that he needed to withdraw from narcotics?
- What more could the nurse have done to prevent a lawsuit from being filed for an Eighth Amendment violation?
- How would you expect the court decided this case?
Read the case study You be the Judge presented at the end of Chapter 21 (Guido, p. 440-441) beginning with, “An elderly woman was admitted to the hospital…” and answer the following questions:
- What types of questions should be asked of the social worker and the other individual who witnessed her signature on the will?
- What other evidence should be requested of the nursing staff to best ascertain her cognitive ability at the time she dictated how she wanted the will drafted and at the time she signed the document?
- Does the fact that she had been estranged for many years from the sibling whose children are now suing factor into the final decision of the court?
- How would you decide this case?
Length: 16 slides minimum; answers must thoroughly address the questions in a clear, concise manner. Be sure to include audio for each slide.
Title: 1 slide
Objective: 1 slide
(Note: Choose any three of the following case studies to present, not all four)
Chapter 18 case study: at least 4 slides
Chapter 19 case study: at least 4 slides
Chapter 20 case study: at least 4 slides
Chapter 21 case study: at least 4 slides
Conclusion: 1 slide
References: 1 slide
Additionally, because a good presentation has few words on the slides include a script with the verbiage you would say when presenting; script should be a minimum of 50 words per slide.
References: Use the appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. Include at least three (3) scholarly sources to support your claims, one for each case study in addition to any texts.
Format: Save your assignment as a Microsoft PowerPoint document and a Word document (.pptx) and (.doc or .docx) or Open Office Impress.
File name: Name your saved file according to your first initial, last name, and the module number (for example, “RHall Module1.pptx”).
M7 Assignment UMBO – 4
M7 Assignment PLG – 4, 6
M7 Assignment CLO – 2, 6, 7